Thursday, June 23, 2011

Swimming Has Gone to My Head....and Heart

I have said before that I fell in love with swimming by literally falling into a swimming pool when I was only two years old. This year I've fallen in love with the endurance aspect of it. I believe I have found a new endurance sport that I love. 

A few months after the birth of my second child,  I strapped on a new pair of
running shoes and took off from our home in Port Orchard, WA - desiring some time alone.  I had been an active runner, but the farthest I had ever run up to that point was 6.2 miles. It was in a 10K running event in Bemus Point, NY that left me frustrated: a 70-year-old man ran up to me, encouraged me with a "keep on going" and then passed me! He wasn't even gasping for breath like I was!
I knew I could run that distance again, but vowed to go the farthest distance I could think of - so I signed up for the Seattle Marathon! I was armed with a training plan and determination.  That year of training took me through the many ups and downs - through the streets of Port Orchard and through the challenges of being a new mom.

My challenge was to fit in the time on the road. With no family within a thousand miles, I relied on friends and even hired a teenager to save the day! She'd come over at 4:00am, twice a week to sleep on my couch while I took off into the hills and onto dirt roads. I'd squeeze in ten miles or more before she needed to get to school and before the brothers woke up.  


My reward: I fell in love with my running routine. I'd get so into it that at certain distances, I felt like I could go on running forever, forgetting that I WAS running. I would just float along feeling at peace and unity with all things created.  I know it sounds really weird but endurance sports have an effect on my brain chemistry.  Being in motion -- and alone -- for an unspecified amount of time causes me to forget about myself.  It hits me that it's no longer work, I don't feel my legs moving underneath, or the road or any pain.  It's euphoric - that's the best way I can describe it.  Running gets into my head! Ok, back to earth here!!

I began this blog by stating that I found a new endurance sport that I love - you know I'm going to say that it's swimming long distances!  I have swum for so many years now - always noting the distances from here to there, always seeing the destination point.  My training for Swim for ZOE is totally different.  My focus is no longer on the destination point. Instead, I patiently wait for that goal. Instead I keep my head down moving forward for miles - watching the sea life beneath. With each breath, I catch glimpses of the homes I swim past, of pelicans flying above in formation. I feel the gentle rocking of the water's wake or focus on the flotation that comes from swimming in salt water.


Like running, swimming has become euphoric. At a certain point, it's no longer work. I am so happy for hours at a time while swimming that I can hardly contain it's beauty and wonder that mounts within me!  Now I can say swimming has gone right to my head - and from my head to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment