Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Swim Workout

I've spent over 220 hours swimming for ZOE! With all this time in the water, I'm often asked about my favorite swim workouts. Sometimes, I'll reply quickly that the ones where I get wet are my favorite ones. That doesn't always change the subject. 


I have to admit, my favorite workout is a crazy one. Before the ocean was warm enough to train in, I did this workout in the pool [over and over again!]: 

Warm up ------------
800yds (32 lengths) :: the last 200 yards alternate- 25 strong, 25 easy.

Main Set --------------
8 X 100's (8 x 4 lengths) :: each 100 on 1min:30sec interval
[I have been swimming this one pretty consistently without much of a rest in between. I will finish the 100yd in 1:25 and have 5 sec left before needing to start the next one, and sometimes I only get 2 seconds to breathe before starting the next on!. It's mostly an "at-pace" 800yd swim, not an all out 1min:10sec 100yd with a 20 second rest in between]


The Broken 1 Mile (66 lengths): Swim Ladder of lengths. 11 lengths, 10 lengths, 9 lengths, etc.,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 with a 10 second Rest Interval between each set.
[This is a timed swim. Begin this mile at an exact time and note the exact time that you finish this mile. At the end, you subtract 1min. 30 seconds from the noted finish time to account for every 10 second rest in between intervals.It's a challenge!]

3 X 300's (3 x 12 lengths) :: each interval on a 3min:30sec interval.

500yd (20 lengths) ::  Drills with Fins
I do 10 X 50's here with drills like: one arm, catch-up, push and glide, fingertip drag, 3 and 3 (three seconds kicking on the side, 3 strokes, three seconds kicking on opposite side) and run through each drill a second time.

10 X 200's (10 x 8 lengths) - each interval on 3min:30sec interval
[I try to finish each 200yd in 2:50 and leave on the 3min:30sec interval giving myself quite a rest in between. I am tired by now, and must use the AIDS orphans and their struggle to survive to keep myself from swimming this part easy. This part of the workout makes me happy because I'm almost done and I am mentally identifying with the plight of our AIDS orphan brothers and sisters, gaining strength and courage from them and praying for them, too! Using God's strong arms here!!]

Cool Down ---------------
500yds Easy
Straight play time in the water. I mess around, going between breast stroke, backstroke, corkscrew, swimming underwater for a whole length, touching the pool floor, watching other swimmers, taking extra breaths at the pool edge, and enjoying the mental closure to this swim. I love these 20 lengths - they make me giddy!

The other thing I think of often in workouts: my family. They have sacrificed so much as I give my time and attention to workouts and Swim for ZOE meetings and fundraising presentations. They are immersed in gallons swim-talk! They have gone above and beyond to allow me this passion and drive that God has given me. I would not be where I am without them! Without their support around this event, I'd be nowhere. God is good in giving me a cup running over - I want to cherish His blessings without them - or Him - for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment