Monday, March 14, 2011

Letting Off Steam


I'm still letting off "steam" from my swim last Wednesday night.  I got in the water at 6pm on the nose and went to town tackling the 6000yd workout - 500 yards at a time. Heavens! After the first 500 yards I was sweating to death and already overheating.  Who sweats in a pool?!

I swam 3000 straight, drank some water. Did 500 w/fins, drank more water. Another 1500 and I emptied my bottle.  At 7:25pm,  with my head throbbing, I still had another 1000 to go - 40 lengths. I didn't finish. After 5000 yards I pulled my heavy self out of the water.  


I thought maybe I was just ready to exercise since I skipped my normal difficult track workout that same morning but I couldn't really figure out what my problem was.  I went in first thing the next morning at 5:30am with the triathlon club and found out what the culprit:  the pool water was 88 degrees!!!  When we all jumped in,  it felt literally like a hot tub - of course it was a pool heater malfunction.  I will try this distance again this week.  


I'm off to rehydrate! I think I'm gonna need a bigger bottle.


No comments:

Post a Comment