Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Prone Perspective

I have been swimming so much that I realized something: between my swim training and sleeping combined, I am prone for as long as a full-time job per week plus overtime!  Plus, I've realized that swimming is not a quiet sport.

As tranquil and relaxing as it may look from the pool deck or beach front, swimming is actually a very noisy activity.  I scope the water and notice the glassy, inviting surface of the water before realizing that with the first stroke and pull through the water, my exhaling breath releases lots of noisy bubbles.  Not what you would expect when watching a graceful, peaceful swimmer.  



My expectations sometimes are to stroke long, even strokes, making no splash when my hand enters the water, keeping my head down and pulling with my hand directly under my elbow.  Keeping good form is usually a swimmer's goal since it requires less energy at a faster speed.  With the first length in a pool, I usually notice how loud my underwater exhales are.  You must exhale forcefully enough to get all air out of your lungs while your face is in the water in order to inhale deeply when turning the head to the side.  There is no other way to swim - you must breathe!  If you exhale slowly and quietly, the arms end up stroking four or five times between breaths, an interval much too long for most swimmers to hold when swimming miles.  If exhaling is done correctly - quietly - then it slows the swimming speed remarkably.  I don't have time to allow myself to swim at a slower speed! My ultimate goal is to train at the same pace I need to sustain during the 10 miles.  

Of course, there are quiet moments. After a long day teaching PE outside in the heat and high humidity we've had, I have been looking forward to lying prone swimming the stress of the day away.  After my swimming workout, homework, chores and dinner is done, the feeling of accomplishment and renewal are wonderful and I end up looking forward to lying prone many hours!  The noise of the day is then replaced with quiet solitude, both requiring the same body position, but oh how different the feeling.  Here is a song I've singing while swimming called "The Water" by Johnny Flynn and Laura Marling- love the title and love the song, too.  Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment