Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Capable

Only four days left to prepare for the swim of my life! As I prepare,  I can't help but think about our individual, unique purposes and contributions to those around us and maybe even those we'll never meet.

Recently, endurance swimmer Diana Nyad decided to swim from Cuba to the Florida Keys - a 60-hour, 103-mile undertaking! She had tried it once before when she was 28 years old. That first attempt ended 41 hours and 49 minutes into the swim - she was buffeted and bruised by wind, waves, and the shark cage she was confined to. This year, at 61, she wanted to try again. Nyad told journalists she hoped her swim would inspire others her age to live active lives. She is equipped with determination, drive, motivation and the mental and physical training to overcome challenges and inspire others - including me!


I believe that each one of us is equipped by God to serve a purpose and inspire others. We are capable of so much more than we know. We all have a story to tell of how we have overcome challenges. In fact, some of the challenges we face make us capable in the end. You may remember how I FELL INto Swim for ZOE. 

I fell in love with swimming by nearly falling into a swimming pool when I was two years old! I grew up in a small town in New York and at my sister's  first swim lesson, I decided to jump in, too! The lifeguard had to fish me out and sit me on the side of the pool! The very next week, at her lesson I jumped right back in! The lifeguard fished me out again, but this time, he let me join the class.

I spent my childhood as the only girl at the local Boys Club – practicing technique, swimming endless laps and competing -- and sometimes even beating -- the boys at the club!

Fast-forward 25 years and I am still swimming! I am part of a triathlon club and at least twice a week, we get together at the pool or at the beach to practice technique, swim endless laps and compete. Sometimes I still beat the boys. 

PIX OF MY FAMILY NOW
Dad on a Walk with Me at Wrightsville Beach

The Aversas: Jacob, Brother-In-Law BJ, my beautiful sister, Amy, and Nathan

I fell for God when I was ten years old. That same sister who I followed into the pool practically raised me when my parents divorced. She was there for me and took care of me as my parents worked multiple jobs, shuffled five children to school and activities. For six years, we had an incredible bond - she wiped my tears away, rocked me to sleep, included me in her life. 
When I was ten and she was 16, that same sister died in a car accident. The divorce and the loss of my best friend and sister left me hopeless for a while. Right around that time, a friend of my mom's (who later became my stepfather) took our family to church. It was there that I heard about Jesus Christ.  As distraught and despairing as I was, hearing that "Jesus will never leave you nor forsake you" (Hebrews 13:5) were exactly the words my ears needed to hear! I began to build a foundation in Christ and I learned to trust him in my hopeless moments. 

I fell for ZOE Ministries in 2006 when I went to Zimbabwe for a mission trip. Through Zoe, we visited AIDS orphans – children who had lost their parents to AIDS or had AIDS themselves. I am a P.E. teacher at Holly Tree Elementary and I did there what I do here: I taught the children to play. While they were waiting to be seen by doctors, I played parachute games, jumped rope, kicked the soccer ball and painted their faces. I tried to show them how to trust God even in their hopeless moments. In return, I was able to see Christ’s face in the faces of those kids! I was able to work with Pastor Greg first-hand and see his servant hood and sacrifice for the orphans. 

As you know, I’ve decided to combine EVERYTHING I love and do something BIG for God. This Saturday I am going to swim ten miles for ZOE ministries. I am going to swim in the Intracoastal Waterway from the Carolina Beach inlet to Wrightsville Sound inlet in a little under SIX hours to raise money for the families. Our goal is $18,000 and we are almost there!

Earlier today, Diana Nyad had to abort her second attempt at that swim from Cuba to the Keys. Windy conditions, less than ideal currents, asthma attacks and shoulder pain stopped her short of her goal. She was already halfway to Florida when she was pulled out of the water. However, I am floored by her ability to swim 29 hours! And I bet that women and men of all ages are inspired to live active lives.


I believe that I was equipped to pursue my goal through Swim for ZOE. I was equipped by my past, my present circumstances and the people in my life. I believe that I can make the 10.3 miles and I believe that we will reach the goal of $18,000. And like Diana Nyad, even if we don't, I won't be sad. We have used our abilities to inspire others to live out loud!
I know you can live out loud and accomplish great things in your life? What will it be? This video clip may help you notice that you can do way more than you ever thought possible.  Let's go live!

No comments:

Post a Comment