Thursday, August 18, 2011

Event Wrap-Up


The Event was swimmingly fantastic! The swim was fast and fun, the finish line was full of friends and family and we surpassed our goal!


We arrived at the start point on the tip of Freeman Park a little later than planned - but I still had time to enjoy quick conversations with friends, family and my ZOE team.  We gathered on the beach in a circle to pray alongside Pastor Greg, founder of ZOE Ministry. Then we loaded everyone back on the boats and off we went on our journey towards the finish line - more than five hours away!

From the shore we faced cloudy skies and choppy conditions - nothing like any of our trial swims!  The boats were heaving and our paddleboarders had to sit on their heels to paddle.  Watching the boats rock side to side increased my fear of seasickness and nausea.  However, once I got in the water, it was just like it's always been: warm and comfortable. On top of that, I felt fast that morning.  



Throughout the day, my friends - and even Doug - jumped in and out throughout the route to swim, keeping steady pace with me. Kayakers continued alongside of me and grew around us with every mile. Boaters came (the Coast Guard auxilliary stayed for the entire day!) and went - floating alongside of us. And my trusted paddleboard guides kept me on track. It felt like a floating tailgate party - with each one of us in some vessel of our choosing.  At one stop, I had to resist the sudden urge to scream out how much I loved it!  



The closer we got to Dockside, the choppy water mixed with our anxiety over deteriorating weather conditions and the excitement of our goal. It seemed as if the water and wind (which was out of the south) were in our favor. I felt exhilerated!  

Course coach, Ben Bowie, allowed me to stop every 30 minutes during the first few hours - but the breaks got shorter and shorter. I watched him tapping his watch and yelling out over our giggley conversation, "all right ladies, it's time to keep moving".  I didn't see the storm clouds, only happiness on everyone's faces, but he was afraid that I'd be 30 minutes from finishing and be pulled from the water with lightening and thunder. I had to keep moving!  



The swimmers who were pacing me got out of the water at our last rest stop - only 30 more minutes of swimming to go.  I put my head down into the water, and started imagining what 60-80 AIDS orphans would look like in one space - one whole grade level at Holly Tree Elementary.  I was filled with excitement - imagining the children receiving their first garden hoe, seeds, instructions and education, and the hope in a future that would grow in their young hearts. 



I was following Guy, our paddleboarder, to Dockside's dock and as we turned a corner from the ICW towards the restaurant, I heard the crowd cheering me on.  I couldn't believe I could hear them while I was swimming - with my head underwater! When I peaked with each breath - it was absolutely breathtaking: like a parade of all of my friends.  The tears of joy and happiness at that finish will be with me forever. My father whispered, if only grandma and grandpa could be here to see this. My mom told me how she had worried about me and was glad I made it safely. My sisters were there, and my sons greeted me with hugs and kisses. I felt completely loved.




Even though the children in Africa have lost their immediate family, with ZOE they are placed in a new family - with less of a chance for poverty and sickness. They have a chance to feel completely loved.  Every person who's been a part of this mission - at the start line, when the idea first took root, throughout these past few months of training and fundraising, and those at the finish line - had a part in making that a reality for a small group of children halfway across the world. That is completely wonderful and I loved every minute of our journey together!  Thank you so very much!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment